Thursday, August 8, 2013

Rap is my Life, I blame the school system




I owe my passion for rap to MD public schools and the people who inhabited them




I started rhyming words together in elementary school, I was a self proclaimed rhyme master, one day my speech teacher tried to test my skills and gave me a sheet of paper filled with words for me to rhyme; and with the help of my mommy I overcame her lousy challenge.
In 6th grade (first grade of middle school) I used to make up songs and sing them to myself, one day I sung one out loud and my peers thought it was so funny that they began asking me to sing for them on a daily basis. Of course I did it, but with little enjoyment, because it turned me into a clown; and whenever they laughed at my songs they would laugh at me for singing it.
6thgrade= Sad/Embarrassing

When 7th grade came something new was introduced to me. During lunch my classmates would freestyle battle each other to a beat that someone would make on the table.  I decided to rap one day, and I  killed it; I don't remember if there was cheering and I don't remember what I said, but I know   once I said it my peers finally started respecting me. I started battling everyday at lunch and most of the time I won; my only true challenge was Marchez Coates. I remember he beat me so bad one time that I felt like crying all day; we both had the passion and the hunger for rapping, and we used our battles to sharpen our swords.  (shout outs to the WU, who i started liking back then)

In high school I fell off, my rhymes were not as nice, and it was the worst; the one thing I was good at and passionate about was gone. Sophomore year comes and goes without one swing of the sword (sword slang for rap skills "one swing of the sword"= "one showcase of rap skill"), but when that summer hit I went into a rap coma and I found my passion and my skill again (how I did that is another story).
Junior year I make my first song ever with Chance AKA "CFB Money Gang," only me and my family heard it, but I thought it was tight as shit.
Senior Year I did that thang. I made the "Christmas Album."  I performed a song with my dawg, Brandon Henry AKA "Exposed Bars,"which we made together called "Hooked on You." Also on Valentines Day I dropped another mixtape featuring hooked on you.

I may not have gotten famous off of those or made any money, but they were fun as hell to make.
This year I've been focusing on school mostly, I go to Morgan State; but I have dropped a few singles (check my soundcloud) and also a mixtape.
School can not slow me down, right now Im working on another project that I really like, I may drop a few songs off of it, but the Big Drop is somewhere I cant imagine.



Me and Exposed Bars rocking the mic. I still love rhyming

No comments:

Post a Comment